torrent download

jonathan jonathan.schluessler at gmx.de
Sun Mar 25 14:28:32 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 3/25/07, jonathan <jonathan.schluessler at gmx.de> wrote:
>> If you agree to this torrent and so it would be nice to add a link to
>> the new version on your download page. And it would be nice to have some
>> additional seeders there. I'll seed it if my computer is online but
>> thats not 24/7 and my upload speed is limited to 72 KB/s.
>
> Maybe we could seed it on the main server. What's the right way to
> effectively run a bittorrent daemon? I think it's fairly trivial to
> just run the bittorrent command line client, but I don't know if
> that's the right way. It's also not my call here.

Do you want to have the .torrent file hosted on the main server or only
seed the linuxtracker .torrent? If you speak about seeding the existing
.torrent installing a commandline based client like rtorrent should be
all you'd need to do.

>> Another thing is the speed of the listed FTP/HTTP servers. I've chosen
>> the fastest server ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/lfs/  (Brisbane,
>> Australia, 1Gbps) and as mentioned before it took me some time. I've
>> heard that the lfs-matrix.net server is much faster though its only
>> listed with 100Mbps. So maybe it would be useful to add a notice that
>> the planetmirror.com server is very slow and that people rather should
>> use the lfs-matrix.net or any other server (I havent tried every server).
>
> I don't think those speed numbers are accurate. I usually use the
> mirror at osuosl.org. That's at a university, which usually has very
> high bandwidth.

So better get rid of all speed numbers there if they arent correct anyway.

Jonathan