torrent download

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 14:08:39 PDT 2007

On 3/25/07, jonathan <jonathan.schluessler at gmx.de> wrote:

> I've created this torrent on the probably biggest torrent page for linux
> torrents (www.linuxtracker.org). You can find this torrent here:
> http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=3806

Yeah, I think we could do that. The website could use some love, and
I'm sure some of the links are dead or inaccurate as you've found.

> If you agree to this torrent and so it would be nice to add a link to
> the new version on your download page. And it would be nice to have some
> additional seeders there. I'll seed it if my computer is online but
> thats not 24/7 and my upload speed is limited to 72 KB/s.

Maybe we could seed it on the main server. What's the right way to
effectively run a bittorrent daemon? I think it's fairly trivial to
just run the bittorrent command line client, but I don't know if
that's the right way. It's also not my call here.

> Another thing is the speed of the listed FTP/HTTP servers. I've chosen
> the fastest server ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/lfs/  (Brisbane,
> Australia, 1Gbps) and as mentioned before it took me some time. I've
> heard that the lfs-matrix.net server is much faster though its only
> listed with 100Mbps. So maybe it would be useful to add a notice that
> the planetmirror.com server is very slow and that people rather should
> use the lfs-matrix.net or any other server (I havent tried every server).

I don't think those speed numbers are accurate. I usually use the
mirror at osuosl.org. That's at a university, which usually has very
high bandwidth.

--
Dan