Like to become a HTTP Mirror

Justin R. Knierim justin at knierim.org
Fri Apr 20 11:17:07 PDT 2007

Benjamin Heil wrote:
> I want to help LFS, so I thought about becoming a HTTP Mirror. My server
> is located in Nuernberg, Germany with 100 MBit. Hostname is wankoo.org,
> IP 88.198.36.230.
> Please use this mail adress or kontakt at wankoo.org to contact me. Thanks!

Hey Benjamin,

That is great, thanks!  Is the mirror already setup or do you need some
more info?  Basically we have an rsync script:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/external-scripts/lfs-rsync.sh

That you can setup, and change the values for your setup, here is mine
on the lfs-matrix.net server:

justin at quandary:~/sys/scripts$ cat lfs-rsync.sh
#!/bin/bash

SITE=linuxfromscratch.org
MODULE=lfs-website
LOCAL=/srv/www/htdocs/lfs-matrix.net
USER=admin at lfs-matrix.net
MAILER=/usr/sbin/sendmail

[ -d "$LOCAL" ] || mkdir -p $LOCAL

OUTPUT=`rsync -clprtzv --delete ${SITE}::${MODULE} ${LOCAL} 2>&1`

if [ $? -ne 0 -o `echo -e "${OUTPUT}" | wc -l` -ne 4 ] ; then
    (echo -e "Subject: lfs-matrix.net - LFS HTTP Updated - RC $?\n";
echo -e "${OUTPUT}") | ${MAILER} ${USER};
fi

Once that is setup and you have the data there, let me know and I'll
push your mirror live on the site.
Also, normally we add mirrors to
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/credits.html in the mirror maintainers
section, please let me know what name and if an email address should be
listed there.  We encrypt the emails, and I've never gotten spam from
it, it is mostly for our use should we need to contact you.

Depending on the bandwidth you have available, we have mirroring for
other items as well, but it is optional:

LFS FTP Packages:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/external-scripts/lfs-ftp-rsync.sh

BLFS FTP Packages:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/external-scripts/blfs-ftp-rsync.sh

LiveCD FTP Packages:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/external-scripts/lfs-livecd-rsync.sh

Also we have the Cross-Compiled Linux From Scratch book, which also has
mirroring options available:

CLFS HTTP Mirror:
http://trac.cross-lfs.org/wiki/mirrors/httpstatic

CLFS FTP Mirror:
http://trac.cross-lfs.org/wiki/mirrors/ftp

Any questions or when you are ready, let me know!

Justin Knierim