Problems in "Get Counted" page

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 9 12:26:58 PDT 2006

Dan,

> cgi-bin/lfscounter.cgi "sources" cgi-bin/template/lfscounter.tmpl.

I'll need to look at that. When I wrote lfscounter.cgi I did not use an
lfscounter.tmpl file. This is something that was changed over the years
then. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Or just re-write the perl
program to be a much better coded version, if it's still a messy hackjob
it was back in the day.

> Now, what would be nice is if all these scripts lived in the www2
> repository instead of just on disk with a horde of backups. There's
> already a scripts and templates sub-repo where these could go.
>
> Two problems here. First, you'd probably need to change the httpd
> configuration so that the scripts directory would be the cgi-bin for
> www.lfs.org. Or, you could put cgi-bin under version control, too. I'm
> no apache expert.
>
> Second, although these scripts and templates sub-repos exist, nothing
> actually happens with them using the update-website* scripts that get
> run from lizardo's home directory. The update hook is a little goofy,
> but it could probably be altered to make this work with little pain.

Al that is going to change with the server mode. Since I got your
attention now, are you able to explain in more detail exactly what the
websites use these days technology wise, so I can be sure that
everything is ported? I didn't get a reply to my last email on this
subject so I'm still mostly in the dark how everything works.

I do know about the scripts that run from Lizardo's home directory, and
that's going to change when I move things over. The update system
shouldn't be owned by a real user, it'll become part of the www
subsystem in some fashion. That allows everybody to easily make changes
to things.

I'll leave the lfscounter for what it is. Things need to be changed
anyways after the server migration. I rather get the framework figured
out and the infrastructure around it. Then fix the bugs with properly
setup files.

Once I figure all that out...any help is appreciated.

--
Gerard Beekmans