Hello, I want to translate lfs 6.0 to chinese, can I?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Oct 8 23:20:24 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 10:05:39AM +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>
>>I will remove this objection if you either
>
> First, Alexander, it really isn't your place to tell this guy what he
> can and cannot do.

I understand. But with "just translation", the book editors will say "we
are popular in China, thus we don't have problems with Chinese". I have
read this "we are popular in China" phrase about LFS at least once. I
want to avoid this statement. We are not popular. Our non-written fork is.

> Secondly, it most certainly isn't appropriate to
> suggest that this guy modify the LFS book to enable Chinese characters.
> It wouldn't be a translated LFS book at that point.

That's why I said "call your work a localization, not a translation".

> Separate
> documentation to achieve those results is one thing. Modifying a book
> and then saying it is a translated LFS book is another. A warning,
> however, would be appropriate.

I got a message from Zhi Wang where he says:

--
Alexander E. Patrakov