Hello, I want to translate lfs 6.0 to chinese, can I?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Oct 6 21:05:39 PDT 2005

Zhi Wang wrote:
> Hello
>
> I want to translate lfs 6.0 to chinese

Of course you can, but I would not welcome that. The reason is that
LFS-6.0 (and even 6.1) have a warning that they don't work as expected
in multibyte locales (and zh_CN.GB2312 is a multibyte locale). Also, LFS
doesn't include any tools that allow writing Chinese. So your
translation will be in fact a book written in Chinese, but producing an
English-only system. I do not want such cross-language books.

I will remove this objection if you either

1) Clearly state in your translation that it produces an English-only
system, and the website team adds this warning near the link to your
translation

or

2) Fix all the relevant issues, add zhcon and whatever else is needed
for a Chinese system, add instructions how to configure that, and call
your work a localization, not a translation. For fixing multibyte
issues, the following fork of the current development book may be useful:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/lfs-book/

The docbook source for that is the r6890 revision of LFS SVN repository
plus the following patch:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/patches/lfs_book-r6890-utf8-1.patch

It would be great if you also translate your changes back into English
and let us know.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov