[OT] Re: Commit 6803 contains invalid char on commit log

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 1 22:09:33 PDT 2005

[moving to website list]

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>> >Is this possible to undo the hack now? It would prevent "normal"
>> >non-ASCII log messages from working properly.
>>
>> I'd suggest we keep the hack for now while the real issue (Subversion
>> accepting invalid input on the commit message) is fixed. Otherwise we
>> would risk the website script breaking again...
>

> But that already prevented me from adding example Unicode characters (to
> demonstrate what scim-input-pad is useful for) to the log of r813 in the
> livecd repository.

Are you saying that my workaround for the svn2html.pl script (used by
the website scripts to convert Subversion's XML output to HTML)
prevented you from adding Unicode chars to the commit message? Unlikely,
as that script is run as a post-commit hook.

The only side-effect of the workaround is that you will see strange
characters instead of the correct Unicode char on the website's SVN log
pages. But IMHO, that's better than no svn HTML logs at all.

I think you will agree with me that we should first find out _how_ an
invalid char managed to get into the Subversion commit message and how
can we prevent this from happening again, before letting svn2html.pl
trust that "svn log --xml" is outputting correct XML.

>> BTW, does anyone know whether it's possible to change the commit message
>> of a specific revision on Subversion? That's because even when we fix
>> the issue, that invalid char will still be there...
>

> I suggest dumping and restoring. With my toy repository at
> file:///home/patrakov/svn-test, the sequence of actions is:
> [...]

IIRC, we are using fsfs as backend now, so do you know whether is it
possible to use this same aproach for that backend too? Also, is it
garanteed that the "broken" commit message was not duplicated somewhere
(e.g. with branching, merges etc.)?

- --
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org