[RFC LONG] Ideas for a simple News Management System

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 19 07:44:02 PDT 2005

Joachim Beckers wrote:
> Just a quick thought: Imagine that "manage_news2" sends a message
> (encrypted ofcourse) back to everyone who posts a newsitem to
> news-{a,b,h,}lfs at lfs.org. This message would contain a unique ID that is
> linked to the newsitem in svn or so. Now if the author of a newsitem
> finds an error in it, correcting the item would be as easy as sending an
> e-mail with the unique ID in the Subject: line, and a diff in the
> message body...

Actually, I had an idea for modifying/updating news items through
e-mail, but I skipped it on the RFC because I really wanted to avoid
increasing complexity to the code by implementing a feature rarely used
(at least IMHO).

It basically would work as follows:

Resend the news post to the news-* address with the _same_ Subject of
the original e-mail. manage_news2 would then detect a previous news item
with the same subject and overwrite the old post with the new one (and
re-render the website accordingly). Maybe some flag would be necessary
(e.g. putting the commit ID on the subject as you proposed) to handle
the case where the poster mistakenly posts a news item with the same
Subject of a previous news item.

> This looks reasonably easy to implement, although it might take some
> testing before every aspect works. (e.g. we don't want everything to get
> messed up when a diff doesn't apply, we (don't) want everyone to be able
> to change every newsitem, ...).

The problem I see with posting a diff is that:

- How do we would create such diff if the poster wrote the news post
directly on his/her MUA;
- How do we guarantee the diff stays intact, i.e. is not wrapped by the
MUA (although sending as an attachment would fix that)

Thanks for your suggestions, we'll take them into consideration :)

PS: For now, we should focus on implementing the 1st stage, maybe the
2nd one even proves unnecessary...
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/