[RFC LONG] Ideas for a simple News Management System

Joachim Beckers jbeckers at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 19 01:10:03 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> I think modifying the news items is going to be a necessary feature.
> Consider - what happens if someone submits a news item containing a URL
> and the URL is incorrect/broken? Or there are spelling mistakes that
> were missed, etc? We will need to adjust those somehow, so what will be
> the method of doing that?

Hmm, that could easily be fixed with a diff right?

Just a quick thought: Imagine that "manage_news2" sends a message
(encrypted ofcourse) back to everyone who posts a newsitem to
news-{a,b,h,}lfs at lfs.org. This message would contain a unique ID that is
linked to the newsitem in svn or so. Now if the author of a newsitem
finds an error in it, correcting the item would be as easy as sending an
e-mail with the unique ID in the Subject: line, and a diff in the
message body...

This looks reasonably easy to implement, although it might take some
testing before every aspect works. (e.g. we don't want everything to get
messed up when a diff doesn't apply, we (don't) want everyone to be able
to change every newsitem, ...).

I don't know if I've been clear enough, just ask if you have any
question. Comments are welcome.

Joachim