[RFC LONG] Ideas for a simple News Management System

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 17 06:59:12 PDT 2005

Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> This RFC does not cover modifying/removing news items, nor archiving
> them. Following some previous discussions on this list, I suggest we to
> _not_ archive news items anymore. Main reasons: news are usually only
> read while they are "hot", and they will be archived on the mailing
> lists anyway.

Well. It all sounds nice, and it may in fact work very well. After
thinking through it for a little bit, though, here's a couple of concerns:

I think modifying the news items is going to be a necessary feature.
Consider - what happens if someone submits a news item containing a URL
and the URL is incorrect/broken? Or there are spelling mistakes that
were missed, etc? We will need to adjust those somehow, so what will be
the method of doing that?

Also, I understand that much of the goal with this new concept is
simplicity on the user-end. Make it simple for authorized developers to
submit an announcement. However, part of the problem with the current
setup was the complexity of the back-end and few people around that
understood how that back-end worked. So when something breaks, it's a
scramble to find out how to fix what's broken. I think that's something
we should try to avoid as much as possible with the new setup. So, in
that sense is it overall easier to go with something like the mail
submission you're proposing, or editing text files in the repo?

Note that I'm not trying to be overly critical of your idea, it is a
pretty neat one, :) - just trying to think out all the relevant points
so that in the end we have the best setup for our needs/circumstances.

--
JH