[update-livecd] Website update script failed on Thu Jun 16 11:47:48 MDT 2005

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 16 18:59:08 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

>> Ok, looks like its fixed. And it works well, updating the news.html in
>> the livecd section. :)
>

> I went ahead and timed the commit (when working on belgarath and
> updating one small text file) and it came out to about 7 seconds.

Hi Jeremy,

You just uncovered a subtle bug on update-website.mk ;).

My latest updates to update-website.mk (and the hook script) fixed the
issue, and I've reorganized some bits, which will make the script run
slightly faster for the projects (basically moved a "svn update" to its
correct place.)

Also, you need to do the following modifications to
/home/svn/repositories/livecd/hooks/post-commit:

1) move the update-website-hook.sh command to after commit-email.pl, to
avoid delays on posting the summary e-mail.
2) Change the update-website-hook.sh command to the following
(everything on one line):

/home/lizardo/scripts/update-website-hook.sh "$REPOS" "$REV" update-livecd

Using "$REV" instead of "HEAD" is important to avoid a potential race
codition where HEAD revision number can change while the script is still
running (not sure about this, as I suspect the repository is locked
while the post-commit is running, but some caution will not hurt :)

BTW, you can get the exact timings (i.e. excluding normal network
overhead), including verbose script output, by adding your e-mail to
"maillist" on update-website-hook.sh. But beware you'll receive aprox.
14 e-mails per day, at least while the other project's update-website.mk
rules are running as cron jobs and not on post-commit scripts.
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/