What's left on beta that's broken

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 15 18:42:31 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/news.html    Line: 49
>   Code: 404 Not Found
>  To do: The link is broken. Fix it NOW!
>
> ***
> You may have noticed that I got the news.html pages for the sub-projects
> temporarily in place, albeit they don't really contain news items, but
> svn changelogs.  The exceptions are the top-level news as there are no
> svn changelogs for that, the website changelogs as I'm not sure where to
> put those, and the livecd logs as they weren't being generated in the
> fcrontab.  More notes on the livecd news page below.
> ***

May I suggest adding the news.html files "statically" on the repository
instead of generating them on update-website.mk?

> http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/
> -> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/search.html    Line: 74
>   Code: 301 -> 200 OK
>  To do: You should update the link.
>
> ***
> Just a small item here, and not even sure that it needs fixing. On the
> beta site would it be preferable to have the domain search for our cgi,
> or the search.html page? Should we continue using them in tandem?
> ***

I suggest we point all links to
http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi (dinamically maintained by
swish-e itself) instead of /search.html (statically maintained on the
repos). Compare the two pages. They look very similar, right? With some
more tweaking, we can have index.cgi look exactly to search.html. Also
note that currently we have duplicated maintainance, as we have to
update both the "mailinglists" file and search.html when we add/remove a
new mailing list to the search engine.

> http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/attachments/    Line: 68
>   Code: 404 Not Found
>  To do: The link is broken. Fix it NOW!
>
> ***
> Not even sure about this one. Have asked Tushar about it, am waiting for
> a reply. Unless someone else knows what that directory is for.
> ***

Fixed, see one of my latest e-mails :)

PS: I suggest we add the checklink script as e.g. a daily cronjob so we
keep our site free of broken links. I just don't want to do it now, as
we will be annoyed by broken links we already know are broken :).
Additionally, the false positives (like the FTP links) can be skipped by
using the "--exclude-docs" param.
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/