LFS 6.0 PDF should be available WITHOUT bz2 compression

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 14 11:13:24 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Archaic wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:57:22AM -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:
>> lol. But seriously, if the PDF is compressed for bandwidth savings, then
>> perhaps gzip or zip should be used. If bandwidth isn't an issue (and I'm
>> sure I've heard Gerard say it isn't) then IMO it shouldn't be
>> compressed at all.
>

> Right, and in that principle I agree. Not really so that we're making it
> easy for Windows users, but so that we're just avoiding an extra step
> for everyone. It's a small enough file, why compress it so that
> *everyone* no matter what platform they use will have to take the extra
> step of decompressing it?  And, as we're seeing, compressing it raises
> the issue of what compression to use.

Agreed, let's just uncompress it and be done with it.  At least then
it'll Do The Right Thing - at least when I point my browser to a PDF I'd
expect it to open in the browser (via a plugin) or have the ability to
directly open it in my PDF viewer of choice.  Having to download it,
uncompress it, then open it is just inconvenient.

Cheers,

Matt.