LFS 6.0 PDF should be available WITHOUT bz2 compression

Justin R. Knierim justin at knierim.org
Mon Jun 13 14:08:26 PDT 2005

Clyde McKenney wrote:

>To attract users new to Linux (e.g., Windows/IE users), the PDF version of
>the LFS 6.0 book should be accessible from the website in native PDF
>format, i.e., with no bzip2 compression. Is it  not possible to include an
>uncompressed copy on all mirrors in the downloads/6.0 directory?
>
>Clyde McKenney
>Greenville, SC

I agree.  The BZ2 format does shrink the pdf by around 47%, which is a
good size.  I also understand though that decompression on win32 is
inconvienent.  Compression with Gzip, while slightly larger, is at least
a format supported by WinZip, so that most windows users could easily
extract it.  We will have to wait and see what others suggest also.

[justin at ca.lfs-matrix.net ~/tmp]$ ls -l
total 1548
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 758351 Dec  8  2004 LFS-BOOK-6.0.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 398885 Jun 13 12:02 LFS-BOOK-6.0.pdf.bz2
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 407736 Jun 13 12:03 LFS-BOOK-6.0.pdf.gz

--
Justin R. Knierim
justin at knierim dot org