Search page style

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jul 16 11:58:02 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
>> The index.cgi is the swish-e engine's "front-end" that is installed only
>> on belgarath and should not be mirrored.
>

> Can we put it in the rsync excludes file then, so that mirrors don't
> pull it?

This would require _all_ mirrors to update the current rsync command
they use on their scripts. The rsync-excludes file you see on the repos
is part of the post-commit system and is by no means related to the
rsync command used for mirroring. I just happenened to use rsync for
easy & quick local copying.

> Presumably then we'd have to hardcode the full path to
> www.l14h.org everywhere that links to search.html?

No, the links will point to search.l14h.org. The belgarath's Apache
installation has different VHOSTS, some of them being:

- - www.linuxfromscratch.org (contains the mirrorable website files)
- - search.linuxfromscratch.org (contains the website engine, _including_
the index files. See /home/httpd/search.linuxfromscratch.org/)
- - linuxfromscratch.org (contains misc. scripts like the LFS counter CGI
and the mailing list archives).

So try to see them as different sites for different things.

> There's no real
> reason for me bringing this up, rather than the aesthetics of a reader
> would be viewing content on www.l14h.org, then be directed to
> search.l14h.org whose results will likely take them back to www.114h.org.

The results will not take it back to www.114h.org, but rather to
114h.org, which are different things... On a future RR-DNS setup,
114h.org will _always_ refer to the belgarath machine, while
www.114h.org will be managed by RR-DNS.

Simply speaking: the mail archives are only on belgarath, so is
index.cgi and the swish-e engine.

Changing all /search.html links to search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi
will be no different from what we have for the LFS counter (which is
located at http://linuxfromscratch.org/cgi-bin/newlfscounter.cgi)

- --
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org