[RFC] New LFS Website

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 5 15:25:16 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> sash at dalriada.com wrote:
>
>> If you insist on using that logo, could you at least put the mouse-over
>> colors along the top edge in rainbow order?
>

> *sigh*, women eh? :)
>
> Actually the more I think about the rationale you gave for your
> dissatisfaction of that logo, the more I *have* to agree with you.  Do
> we have any decent graphic designers/artists among us, or contacts with
> any?

Well, as far as depicting the concept of LFS in a graphic goes, IMHO,
whoever did this background did an excellent job:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/artwork/lfs-background-by-ct.jpg

Hard to port that to a banner though, eh?  I have some art/graphics
backround, only I usually do my work by hand and haven't done much
computer art.

I might see if over the week or weekend if I can draw up a few things.
But to be honest, (no offense meant Sash), I respectfully disagree with
the point Sash made as far as the full jigsaw pieces. The banner well
illustrates the *concept* of putting together a Linux puzzle without
having to spell it out entirely.  Often, good art (music, written word,
visual art) can illustrate, describe or outline the meaning of a thing
without being totally explicit. Sometimes half the skill there is gently
leading a person to a thought or feeling without forcing them to the
point. Understatement can be a powerful thing. :) It kind of goes hand
in hand with one of the original goals of the site - subtlety.

Anyway, no need to ramble on a thing. ;) That's just my take on it.

--
JH