A few comments on the beta website

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 5 11:21:01 PDT 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> The "Support" link points to /lfs/support.html.  Maybe it should just go
> to /support.html which would list mailing lists, IRC, etc. (i.e.
> project-independent support resources).

That should be fine.

> http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/index.html - s/Who's who:/Who's
> who?/ - we're asking a question, aren't we?

Actually, I don't think so. It's as if we're saying, "This is who each
person is/what he does". Anyway, we could always opt for another phrase
or header.

> http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html - s/pre/pre1/  :)   Also,
> and I'm sure I've heard something about this before, is it possible to
> have the SVN logger output which branch a change was made on?  Seeing
> duplicate entries by both myself and Archaic will certainly look odd to
> a casual browser  :-)

Yes, I'd like to see that done as well, and there was talk about it.
This is Anderson's territory. ;)

> I believe Manuel's name has an accent (or two?).  Unfortunately I don't
> think that the ISO-8859-1 encoding that the pages are a) authored in and
> b) served out as has such a character!  If we knew that all our mirrors
> could configure themselves to serve out UTF-8 and all our website
> authors have UTF-8 capable editors/environments *and* we convert the
> existing pages to UTF-8 then we'd be able to sort it.  However, methinks
> Manuel will agree that it's a small enough issue to not have to go to
> such great lengths!

He doesn't sign his name with any accent marks... but even if that were
the case, you should be able to use the ASCII entities (or whatever
they're called) &[numbercode];

> Now with the serious stuff out the way...I still can't help thinking
> that the project-specific colour schemes will get us in to a Reservoir
> Dogs style spat of "Why do I have to be Mr Pink?"  :-)

Pink?! What pink? Anyway, why open a can of worms? ;P No one's said
anything yet...

--
JH