A few comments on the beta website

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 5 11:00:00 PDT 2005

Hi all,

http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/index.html - s/source/& code/, s/cd/CD/.

The "Support" link points to /lfs/support.html.  Maybe it should just go
to /support.html which would list mailing lists, IRC, etc. (i.e.
project-independent support resources).

http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/index.html - s/Who's who:/Who's
who?/ - we're asking a question, aren't we?

http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html - s/pre/pre1/  :)   Also,
and I'm sure I've heard something about this before, is it possible to
have the SVN logger output which branch a change was made on?  Seeing
duplicate entries by both myself and Archaic will certainly look odd to
a casual browser  :-)

http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/read.html mentions errata for the
development version of the book.  This aint gonna happen, not IMO
anyway.  Errata for the development book are implemented immediately by
changes to the book itself.  Errata are therefore only useful for stable
versions of the book.  In addition to this, we'll need to remember to
patch the website a couple of times during the usual release procedure -
once to add the testing branch description, then on final release, to
remove it again.  I'll add that step to a release checklist I'm working on.

Another minor nit - why the use of the word 'current'?  I'd prefer the
headings read 'Stable Version', 'Testing Version', 'Development Version'.

http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/support.html mentions to use the
errata first, then the FAQ.  I'm not sure this is the right order.  I
was thinking that the FAQ could have something like "Why does xyz
happen", then when the answer is due to a bug in the book, we can simply
say "See the Errata at...".  Therefore people would *always* use the FAQ
as a first port of call (and hopefully pick up some more info while
they're there), then visit the errata if we've fixed it.  Failing that
they get to go to the mailing lists & IRC.

s/You can also view all the lists./An overview of all the lists is also
available./ (with the hyperlink under "all the lists".

http://beta.linuxfromscratch.org/contribute.html - s/xhtml/XHTML/ s/a
rsync/an rsync/

I believe Manuel's name has an accent (or two?).  Unfortunately I don't
think that the ISO-8859-1 encoding that the pages are a) authored in and
b) served out as has such a character!  If we knew that all our mirrors
could configure themselves to serve out UTF-8 and all our website
authors have UTF-8 capable editors/environments *and* we convert the
existing pages to UTF-8 then we'd be able to sort it.  However, methinks
Manuel will agree that it's a small enough issue to not have to go to
such great lengths!

Now with the serious stuff out the way...I still can't help thinking
that the project-specific colour schemes will get us in to a Reservoir
Dogs style spat of "Why do I have to be Mr Pink?"  :-)

Regards,

Matt.