Hello and such :)

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 1 21:15:56 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 08:27:04PM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
>>Regarding the website: we are working on a new website layout (and
>>infrastructure) which we plan to present together with the LFS 6.1
>>announcement for public review.
>

> Speaking of which, can it roll out prior to 6.1 so any missed problems
> can be handled *before* the release?

Well, we can, but one way or another we will not just replace the
current site without community input. Or will we? Jeremy, any
suggestions on how to handle this?

The way I see it, we have two options:

1) Fix the release-stopping issues with the current site, keep it on
www.linuxfromscratch.org, and upon LFS 6.1 release, present
beta.linuxfromscratch.org for community input.
2) Replace www with beta *before* LFS 6.1 release and present it public
review directly on www.

Although personally I'd like to see (2) done, I should remember of an
important issue: we still have not notified mirrors admins about the
plans to add SSI as a requirement for mirroring. If LFS 6.1 is to be
released RSN, I'm afraid we don't have enough time to do so.

I'll soon do a test putting a test HTML page with SSI code to see how
many of the current mirrors have SSI support enabled already.

> And errata structure has been put into the book but is still lacking a
> home on http. Along with that, Matt wanted to try to move everything
> in the book that is linked to a homedir to the main site. Currently,
> this includes the livecd page (done in new site), build logs (not done),
> and matt's package page (perhaps this link shoud just be removed due to
> the age of the material in the link). I may have missed something.

Bruce's SBU measurements?

> As for errata, after talking with Matt, the idea of a
> /errata/<project>/<book-version> structure came out. So for now, we
> would need:
>
> /errata/lfs/6.1/
> /errata/lfs/stable   -> /errata/lfs/6.1/
> /errata/lfs/svn/
> /errata/lfs/testing  -> /errata/lfs/svn/
> /errata/lfs/6.1-pre1 -> /errata/lfs/svn/
>

> I already sent some sample html that is sitting in the archives
> (http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/website/2005-June/005075.html)

Wouldn't it be better to have:

/lfs/errata/6.1/
/lfs/errata/stable

instead, so we keep each sub-project's data on its own directory?

> As for build logs, I have no idea where those would be best place. They
> are currently sitting in my homedir.

If they are produced by automated build scripts, it seems logical to me
put them somewhere on the ALFS section. Otherwise, we might need a
separate section for them. Are these build logs strictly for LFS
packages? Where they are referenced in the book?

What about creating a "Resources" subsection for the projects that
reference external LFS-related information? E.g. for LFS, we would have:

/lfs/resources/build-logs/
/lfs/resources/sbu-timings/

> Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions,

- --
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/