Automatic website backup

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 13 17:11:01 PST 2005

On Sunday 13 February 2005 20:13, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Not exactly. But your system is an extension of how we had it set up.
> Our site *was* the working copy. But I do like the extra steps you take
> there to remove the svn properties from the site. How are the book
> renderings handled with your setup? And are they set up to only render
> what has changed too? Please explain how you have that working... (Note:
> I *still* haven't been able to look at updage-website.mk yet :/ sorry)

The book renderings are done by their respective cron jobs, like we have now.
The renderings are directly saved to /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org,
and a rsync "ignore" list takes care of not deleting them (see
html/trunk/scripts/rsync-ignore, it's well commented). The same goes for
everything not created by update-website.mk (static content, ALFS tarballs).

This also enables each project to handle the files/directories under the
"ignore" list the way they like. E.g. the BLFS team can update the BLFS
Artwork without access needing to the www repository. But note that this
currently does not work as intended because everything is group-owned by
lfswww. For this to work properly, a hierarchy of group-ownership need to be
setup. See
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/website/2005-February/004468.html,
option (2). This also reduces the chance of an accidental entire website
deletion as explained on the above message.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org