Automatic website backup

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Feb 13 15:33:51 PST 2005

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> Jeremy Utley wrote:
>
>> I had experimented with, and actually had a script set up that would
>> back up the website to my server, however, I determined that the
>> bandwidth utilization would have been too much for ninja to handle.
>

> Was this using rsync?  If you were to set a machine up as if it were a
> mirror and just rsync the changes, you could then copy/tar the
> mirrored files.  If they're time/datestamped that'll mitigate the
> risks of rsync mirroring the equivalent of an 'rm
> /my/beautiful/website' :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt.

The original script I made simply made a tarball of the website
directory as it existed at that time, then scp'd that tarball to the
remote server.

For the job we were trying to do (ease restoration after one of the
scripts went awry), rsync wasn't the right solution, since it might have
been possible to rsync the empty tree.

-J-