Side menus on the site

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Mon Aug 22 01:55:54 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been watching the left-side menus on the website steadily grow.
> Already, several of them are longer than I originally intended when
> proposing the new site. The idea was to keep the site simple and
> logically group data of the same context. There are several links in the
> left-hand side that only point to one page, but are shown on just about
> every page, (ie, "Mailing Lists", "Contribute").
>
> I don't have any full-fledged suggestions for improvement right now, but
> I'm bringing this up so that we might discuss how to better organize and
> simplify the menus. I really think it shouldn't contain more than 5 or 6
> main entries.
>
> --
> JH

The trouble is, one man's concept ain't necessarily the next man's
concept.  We all pigeon-hole thing differently.  It's a pity there isn't
a technology that lets people organise websites themselves ;-)

My view is that if it fits on one side-menu on a 800x600 screen it's OK.
 (Yes, I know 800x600 is old hat, but I still use my old lap-heater from
time to time, and it does help Lynx users).

R.