RSS and News

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 6 18:49:50 PDT 2005

Justin R. Knierim wrote:
> TODO Items:
>
>> Place links to RSS feeds on the news pages.
>>

> Is there anything else that must be done before the links are made?  The
> RSS feeds are manually edited, correct?  Or is there a script to
> generate them?

They are generated automatically from the news.html files. Each project
has its own RSS feed:

/lfs/feed.rss (LFS RSS feed)
/blfs/feed.rss (BLFS RSS feed)

and so on. There is also a news feed for general, LFS-wide news (/feed.rss).

>> Avoid duplication of news items on "general" and project-specific
>> news.html
>> pages, possibly using SSI.
>>
> That sounds like a good idea.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how
> to do this best?  If you have an idea, please speak up!  :)

I was thinking about having separate "general news" and
"project-specific news" sections on each subproject's news.html, just
like the old site. "general news" would be SSI included from /news.html
(which should not SSI include anything, just have the news items) and
there should be no links pointing directly to /news.html. So if someone
goes to e.g. /lfs/news.html, he/she can read both the general news (e.g.
LFS-wide or server problems news items).

> I would suggest as an example, making a /news/<year> directory, putting
> the news items in there (as html text files), and SSI including them in
> the normal news.html pages.  The news items would be everything from <dl
> class="newsItem"> to </dl> for a normal item.

Although the visible result would be the same, on the maintainance side
one would have to edit two or three files to add a news item. Automatic
RSS feed generation would be more difficult too, as the news items will
be splitted in various files (currently, lfs2rss.pl, which autogenerates
the RSS feeds, only handles single-file news pages). And, remembering
one of the "cons" of the old site, archiving news items would be
redundant as they are archived on the mailing lists anyway.
Additionally, we will rarely keep news items for more the one year
(except if the entire project bemcomes inactive; hope not! :) ).

All of this IMHO of course :)

> We _could_ have a script to convert normal text to a news item instead
> of using html, but it would just be more work in my opinion.

Actually, there is already a script which converts normal text to HTML
news items (see scripts/trunk/manage_news2.pl), but the editors are
already so comfortable with the current just-edit-the-html way that I've
just let the script as an PoC.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/