RR-DNS setup for LFS mirrors

Justin R. Knierim justin at knierim.org
Sat Aug 6 15:35:46 PDT 2005

Anderson Lizardo wrote:

>IMHO this feature is intended for new visitors which have no preference for a
>mirror and just goes to www.linuxfromscratch.org.

Yeah, I understand.  That was my mistake in thinking that.

>I don't know yet how the script does its "best guess", but you can view
>the code on http://br.php.net/source.php?url=/mirrors.php (just change
>the "url" parameter to the file which you like to take a look at).

It uses the ip-to-country.com database to map the current IP to a
country, and then selects a mirror from their database for that
country.  I rather like it.

We have 19 mirrors from 13 different countries at the moment.  Not sure
how easy it will be to direct someone from a country with no mirror to
the next closest or at least in the same continent.

Sounds interesting still.

Justin