RR-DNS setup for LFS mirrors

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 6 15:31:42 PDT 2005

Justin R. Knierim wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
>> Good point. I remember Jeroen investigating a solution similar to
>> http://www.php.net/mirrors.php, where there is a static mirrors list,
>> but a "best guess" mirror is presented to the user. What do you guys
>> think about this feature? Would it be a nice addition to our site?
>>
> How does the best guess feature work?  (I didn't see a link to source
> code on that php page)  By the users hostname?  We then also must think
> about the mirrors, and if we want php, cgi, <insert langauge to do it
> in> also as a prerequisite.  If we could get this to work with the
> minimum of new mirror requirements, that would be great.  :)

Actually I was thinking about adding this feature only for
www.linuxfromscratch.org, as I suppose someone accessing a mirror
directly would already know his/her favorite mirror (e.g. I used to use
www.br.linuxfromscratch.org, but it's currently broken). IMHO this
feature is intended for new visitors which have no preference for a
mirror and just goes to www.linuxfromscratch.org.

I don't know yet how the script does its "best guess", but you can view
the code on http://br.php.net/source.php?url=/mirrors.php (just change
the "url" parameter to the file which you like to take a look at).

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/