RR-DNS setup for LFS mirrors

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 6 14:44:05 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:13:19PM -0400, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
>>Thanks for this Justin. IMHO your changes give us more time to think
>>about what would be the definitive mirroring solution (RR-DNS or a
>>static list of mirrors to choose from).
>

> IIRC RR-DNS has been rejected due to the fact that someone in Europe
> should be able to choose a European mirror and not get forced into using
> an American or Asian mirror.

Good point. I remember Jeroen investigating a solution similar to
http://www.php.net/mirrors.php, where there is a static mirrors list,
but a "best guess" mirror is presented to the user. What do you guys
think about this feature? Would it be a nice addition to our site?

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/