CSS selectors in web pages

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 23 00:56:57 PDT 2004

Nico R. said the following on 22-09-2004 16:09:

> Hmm... I can't test in IE, but I *assume* that might be because the DOM
> support of IE is incomplete or broken. Will try to find out by Googling
> and checking microsoft.com and try to adjust the script if possible.

There's no output whatsoever. Steps to reproduce:
1. Load site in IE (5.0, 5.5 and 6.0)
2. Watch the site load in the default stylesheet
3. When the javascript kicks in (especially noticable on slow
connection/computer); all styles are removed
4. The styleswitcher displays all links but activates none.
5. No errors or messages are generated by IE's Javascript debugger/

> Oh, by the way, once we change the script type from "text/javascript" to
> "application/x-ecmascript" or something more sane (we will have to
> check what seems to be best), client-side scripts will stop working in
> IE6 anyway.

We could do this with a server-side script perhaps? I'm not too fond on
changing it though. If even the people who write the standards haven't
updated or corrected their docs, we can't expect any UA's to do this
properly.

> We should also set a Content-Style-Type header for our pages, it's
> currently missing.

What does this require?

>>- the generated markup doesn't seem to be complete. I'm not sure, but
>>Can you adjust the script so it closes the tags?
>
> I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you are talking about the
> lines containing "createElement": they create *elements*, not tags. So
> the tags are always closed.

Well, I'm only going by from what I observe. The generated markup
displays without any padding, which makes me believe that the markup is
incorrectly generated.

>>- the stylesheet which is in use doesn't get displayed in the
>>generated markup. Is it possible to make this optional in the
>>javascript?
>
> Well, I considered that a feature. :-) If you don't like it, comment out

For some cases, I like it (eg. when switching from print view to regular
view). For layout switching, I don't like it; I got confused when trying
it. Making it optional would be great.

Love your new script; thanks a bunch!

--
Groeten/Greetings,