CSS selectors in web pages

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 22 11:07:06 PDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:09:31 +0200
"Nico R." <n-roeser at gmx.net> wrote:

> Oh, by the way, once we change the script type from "text/javascript"
> to "application/x-ecmascript" or something more sane (we will have to
> check what seems to be best), client-side scripts will stop working in
> IE6 anyway.
>
> Using "text/javascript" is *completely wrong*, since this type is not
> registered with IANA. Therefore using it is a violation of RFC 2045,
> and because of that, of HTML 4, too, because HTML 4 has RFC 2045 as a
> normative reference. XHTML 1.0 is affected as well, because it uses
> the semantics of HTML 4, so we are effectively violating the XHTML 1.0
> spec at the moment.

Interesting.  http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/scripts.html lists
"text/javascript", "text/tcl" and "text/vbscript" as example values for
the 'type' attribute.  Not one of those is currently registered with
IANA.  In fact I don't see "application/x-ecmascript" at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/ either :)

Cheers,

Matt.