Server issue with the {B}LFS books look

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Sep 14 12:02:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:08:11 +0200
"M.Canales.es" <manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> That mean that all pages are served like application/xhtml+xml, them a
> very restrictives rules are applied, by the browser that implement it,
> to render the pages.
>
> For the {B}LFS books we are using tidy to validate and indent the
> generated pages. The final code for a command blok is like this:
>

>       {pre class="userinput"}
> {kbd class="command"}./configure --prefix=/usr{/kbd}
> {/pre}
>
> That is semantically correct, but using the application/xhtml+xml
> rules the first tag line break is added to the output (but not the
> last one:-?).
>
> My propossed solution is to add an ./htaccess file in all view/ dirs
> to server the pages under that directories as plain text/html.

Well, the *correct* method of serving them is indeed
"application/xhtml+xml"[1], so really we should fix the 'tidy' scripts
to not break on the {pre} elements.  Serving them out as 'text/html' is
a quick fix, but IMO not the Right Thing to do in this case.

Regards,

Matt.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#media-types