CSS selectors in web pages

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 13 00:36:57 PDT 2004

Nico R. said the following on 10-09-2004 14:38:

> The markup for the layout selection in the web pages should be created
> by a client-side script. This makes sure that it does not appear if
> client-side scripting is disabled. If this is wanted, a noscript
> element can be added to present alternative content (like a message
> that layout selection is not available without client-side scripting,
> but IMHO such messages are ugly).

You're totally right, of course. Even better would be a server-side
script which changes the default stylesheet, so even users who don't
enable client-side scripting would be able to change the layout.
Unfortunately, my scripting is really bad (so bad that I can only hack
other scripts).

Do you have any suggestions? Note that it should work with the
TWiki-based website. Also, for server-side scripts, we can only really
guarantee Perl, since not all mirrors will enable all options for the
website.

Thanks,

--
Groeten/Greetings,