Current website condition

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 12 11:48:07 PDT 2004

Em Dom 12 Set 2004 08:10, Jeremy Huntwork escreveu:
> Frankly, the website's in poor shape.  I think there are a few places
> that never fully recovered, or got re-rendered from the last server
> glitch we ran into.  Plus, there hasn't been a news feed in a long time.
> I think it would have been helpful (still might be) to add a news item
> that the server had hiccupped and some parts of the site are/were
> unavailable.

Agreed. In fact, I was waiting for some admin to make the changes I posted
both here and on lfs-server. I don't know if some admin really read that
message, so I'll repost it.

IMHO, the new script is high-priority as we saw from the recent breakage. The
new scheme does not allow for the entire website to disappear, as it actually
does not remove the entire tree as the current one does.

> I probably have the most time, currently, to handle some of this stuff.
> Jeroen, I'd be happy to help you out a little more there if you want.
> I'd need to be taught how to do a few things, though, such as the news
> feeds.

No problem. Adding a news item is very easy (although not very intuitive :).
You only have to add something like this to the top of the project's news DB
(e.g. lfs/news-2004.txt):

--NEWS_ITEM_BOUNDARY
Title: News Title
Author: News Author
Date: 2004/08/02

It's important to have a blank line both after the item's header and the after
the item itself. You might want to copy 'n paste an old news item and modify
it to reduce the chance of typos.

> In any case, Jeroen, Anderson, can you guys spare a little time
> presently to help me review the entire current site and make a list of
> things that need to be done/fixed?

No problem for me. I still have free time (specially weekends and holidays :),
although I might dedicate some time at night to read and answer e-mails), so
I can also help you doing the necessary changes/fixes. As to the CMS
migration, we have to postpone it until we have the website on a stable
state.