Official package mirror usage

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 6 21:08:20 PDT 2004

mirror-maintainer at mirror.averse.net wrote:

> 1.  The upshot is that I'd love to help, especially if it makes things
> easier for users.  However, the FTP RR infrastructure is a little thin
> right now, with only two servers.  Perhaps OSUOSL may be interested in
> offering LFS packages via their usual ftp.osuosl.org as well?  Or maybe
> ask ibiblio?

I agree, I wasn't aware that there were only two servers providing this
service. At this point it would be wise to not push any additional
"automated" load onto them.

> 2.  I don't expect this to be an issue, but it's good to have an idea.  Is
> there any indication how much disk space the ALFS packages consume,
> and how traffic they use in aggregate?

There are no "ALFS packages" per se, it's just the standard LFS
stable/testing/unstable packages. My proposal was to change the ALFS
"wget script" to just point to the ftp mirrors for _all_ of the
packages, rather than the original package locations (or their own
mirrors) for each package. It's not a big deal, but occasionally the
script has to be changed due to a package mirror (especially GNU
mirrors) becoming unavailable, and that's a problem when we have nALFS
tarballs that include the old script.

Also, I would like to modify the official LFS profile at some point to
include automatic downloading of package sources, and to do that will
realistically require that the package sources all be available from a
single location. As Jeremy already pointed out, many of us already do
this internally, and will keep doing so for own needs regardless of what
happens with the official mirrors.