Official package mirror usage

mirror-maintainer at mirror.averse.net mirror-maintainer at mirror.averse.net
Mon Sep 6 19:29:04 PDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> > We now have an official package mirror again
> > (ftp.linuxfromscratch.org). Are the arrangements with this site such
> > that I can point the ALFS profile's "wget script" at this site for all
> > packages, or should we continue to try to pull the packages from their
> > nominal "official" locations?
> > If the LFS official package mirror can bear this load, then managing
> > the wget scripts gets much easier :-)
> The packages mirror is RR-DNS'd, currently between 2 servers, but will
> add more as information is provided to me about additional servers.  I'd
> *think* they should be able to handle the load without difficulty - both
> have pretty fat pipes.
> I'm cross-posting this to LFS-Admin - Justin, Tim, in your opinion, can
> you guys bear this load?

$ dnsip ftp.linuxfromscratch.org
203.127.221.98 80.237.204.39

203.127.221.98 is mine, and is located in Singapore, Asia.  I've no
problems on the bandwidth front for now, but I *may* have to switch
providers in future.  If that happens, my international bandwidth will
likely be cut drastically, and I may have to stop offering mirror services
to the international public.

$ dnsname 80.237.204.39
ds80-237-204-39.dedicated.hosteurope.de

I'm not sure if I've gotten confused with another mirror host, possibly
for something non-LFS related.  But I seem to recall someone mentioning
that he is on a dedicated server with XXX GB of traffic.  Hosteurope seems
to offer 1.5 TB of traffic with their dedicated servers, so it could be
the other ftp mirror.  If he has metered traffic, I'm sure he'll be
concerned about how much additional traffic this move will cause.

We're both syncing from a primary repository kindly offered by osuosl, but
this is a dedicated rsync machine for other mirrors to sync from, and is
not used to serve the public.

1.  The upshot is that I'd love to help, especially if it makes things
easier for users.  However, the FTP RR infrastructure is a little thin
right now, with only two servers.  Perhaps OSUOSL may be interested in
offering LFS packages via their usual ftp.osuosl.org as well?  Or maybe
ask ibiblio?

2.  I don't expect this to be an issue, but it's good to have an idea.  Is
there any indication how much disk space the ALFS packages consume,
and how traffic they use in aggregate?