Website update script broke

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 4 12:39:45 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 10:46, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Do you have any idea how this could have happened?

I am not sure at all about that.

> makes a backup in /var/tmp before everything is moved over, but that

I forgot to check for that file (it exists now of course but that's from
after I restored it part of the site) but it also seemed the script had
hung at some point. There was a zombie process which may or may not have
caused the problem this time, though there was no lockfile present which
means the script must've run entirely but part of it failed and it just
continued with an empty directory in /tmp and copied that over.

Anderson, we might as well expand on the piece of code that creates
/var/tmp/website-backup.tar and give it a date stamp as well so we can
keep a number around in case the tar backup process itself fails.

--
Gerard Beekmans