Website update script broke

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 4 10:41:29 PDT 2004

On Saturday 04 September 2004 12:46, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Gerard Beekmans said the following on 04-09-2004 15:50:
> > Something unpleasant happened and the website update script got killed
> > off in the midst of running its update and everything in
> > /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org went missing including all the
> > files from view/ download/ and such directories.
>
> Do you have any idea how this could have happened?

I'm also a bit curious about this, specially if it could affect the new script
once it's enabled.

> > Note to the website team: this isn't the first time something like this
> > is happening. Maybe it's time we take a real close look at the scripts
> > we're using and find a way to guard against this. Even if it means
> > before the script does anything it makes a simple full backup of the
> > entire /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org directory and keep a few
> > days worth of backups around
>
> The script hasn't changed in quite some time, but Anderson has a new
> version which makes better advantage of Subversion and is in the form of
> a Makefile. It's not live yet though. Anyway, the current script already
> makes a backup in /var/tmp before everything is moved over, but that
> doesn't contain the rendered book versions; these are independently
> pushed into the website. AFAIK, Andersons' script changes also take care
> of this by making them a post-commit function.
>
> Anderson, what is the status on your script updates?

The script is already fully working (just need to add code to send a mail to
the list if the script fails, as we discussed earlier). I just didn't have
enough time to make it live _and_ monitor its initial behaviour. But
fortunately I have a prolongated weekend and should take care of the script
update.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org