Website update script broke

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 4 09:46:04 PDT 2004

Gerard Beekmans said the following on 04-09-2004 15:50:

> Something unpleasant happened and the website update script got killed
> off in the midst of running its update and everything in
> /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org went missing including all the
> files from view/ download/ and such directories.

Do you have any idea how this could have happened?

> Note to the website team: this isn't the first time something like this
> is happening. Maybe it's time we take a real close look at the scripts
> we're using and find a way to guard against this. Even if it means
> before the script does anything it makes a simple full backup of the
> entire /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org directory and keep a few
> days worth of backups around

The script hasn't changed in quite some time, but Anderson has a new
version which makes better advantage of Subversion and is in the form of
a Makefile. It's not live yet though. Anyway, the current script already
makes a backup in /var/tmp before everything is moved over, but that
doesn't contain the rendered book versions; these are independently
pushed into the website. AFAIK, Andersons' script changes also take care
of this by making them a post-commit function.

Anderson, what is the status on your script updates?

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans