BLFS hardly accessible

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Sep 4 09:29:47 PDT 2004

Karel Kulhav said the following on 04-09-2004 12:11:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to get to BLFS from
> http://www.hu.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/news.html
>
> When I click the first link - BLFS - I get to the same page.
>
> The second link (big headline Beyond Linux From Scratch) leads to the same
> place too.
>  I tried to click the link "Read, current stable" which leads to
> http://www.hu.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/stable.html
>
> However there isn't still the list of the possible software packages. It looks
> nearly the same as the previous URL.
>
> How can I get to BLFS itself? This confusing maze of infinitely deep links
> promising BLFS is horrible.

There are various navigation possibilities on the site. At the top,
you'll find the various main projects of the site: LFS, BLFS, ALFS, etc.
The logo functions as the homepage button. At the right, you find the
project-specific navigation and below that the site-wide navigation.

In the project-specific navigation, you'll find "meta"-links, which
describe the project (BLFS news, What is BLFS, Bugzilla). There are
"download" links, which allow you to download various book versions in
various forms; stable, testing, CVS, etc. And finally there are "read"
links, which allow you to read the book online. "Stable and translation"
takes you to a page with links to the stable book and to various
translations of it, which is probably what you want:
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/stable.html>

The actual book should be at
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/>. I say "should be",
because at the moment, there's nothing there due to a failed script,
apparantly. You can still read the HTML version from
<http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs-museum/5.1/BLFS-BOOK-5.1-HTML/>
though.

Anyway, I know this isn't the most ideal link setup (although at the
time I thought it was). For the CMS-based site, we'll simplify the link
setup to the following sitemap:
http://test.linuxfromscratch.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebsiteInformationArchitecture#BLFS_

Of course, all reasonable suggestions are very welcome!

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans