Issue on the server

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 24 23:46:26 PST 2004

For the website list readers:

the last few days the /var partition had been filling up every night by some
unknown process which caused for some problems with Postfix, syslogd, myssql
and others. I was monitoring the server tonight as it happened.

First an email forward sent to server-admin earlier:

On November 24, 2004 08:02 pm, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> I wrote a little script that runs every 10 minutes (starting ten minutes
> ago) that will output the data from these commands:
>
> du -h --max-depth=1 /var
> ps -ef
> top -b -n 1
> df -h
>
> To log files. I'll check them in the morning to try and get an idea of
> which process is causing /var to fill up at around 00:45-00:55. whenever
> i wake up, /var is back to its normal state but the last entry in the
> /var/log/sys.log file is something about it having run out of disk space
> (postfix complained about it).

The update-search-engine.sh script was to blame. I didn't check it out in
detail. According to the "df" output, the /var partition was slowly being
filled (at a rate of about 1 MB/sec) but the output of "du /var" didn't show
any increase in size of any directory or file so I have no clear idea which
file or directory was growing so large. I ended up killing the script before
the partition filled completely and a few seconds after killing the script
all diskspace was freed up again (according to "df" anyway -- "du" still
showed no increase in anything).

I've commented out the script from /etc/fcrontab for now. If one of you guys
can manually run it at some point and baby-sit it see where things go wrong,
that would be appreciated.

--
Gerard Beekmans