update-website.mk and mirroring issue

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 21 10:22:26 PST 2004

Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> But then I ask: what's the real purpose of the "timestamp" file? I know it
> allows the mirrors to only run rsync if this file is changed, but does rsync
> not do this check already?

My understanding of rsync is that it will only sync *changed* files.  So
there should be no need for us to keep our own housekeeping information
for this purpose.  If our site changes, the mirrors' rsync process will
spot them the next time they run. If the site hasn't changed next time
they rsync, then nothing gets transferred.

> Another thing: with the current
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~gerard/lfs-rsync.sh script used by all mirrors,
> the ".svn" dir (along with other files, like news-YYYY.txt, templates) are
> rsync'ed even though they are not necessary on the "final" website. This is
> avoidable by using the --exclude-from rsync option (see update-website.mk's
> "run-rsync" rule), and saves some MB of bandwidth (aprox. 12MB of .svn dirs).

OK, this suggests that they're mirroring a working copy of the SVN
repos.  I don't like that idea much.  This issue appears on the
svn-users list every now and again, as people seem to insist on having
their live site as simply a working copy of the repository.  Why can't
we use 'svn export' here to get a clean, unversioned, copy of a
particular revision of the repository?  This would negate having to have
a .htaccess that has to ignore .svn directories, and the corresponding
flag to rsync.

Cheers,

Matt.