Putting new update-website script online ASAP

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Nov 15 07:48:54 PST 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 13:32, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > Exactly. Just like the makefiles do for code trees, this script is a
> > simple makefile that only updates what needs updating (i.e. what was
> > touched by some other script). If you take a look at it, it does not have
> > something like "rm -rf <website_dir>", like we have for the current
> > script. So a complete cleanup of the website would not be possible with
> > the new script.
>
> That's very good to hear. Thanks.
>
> Since it is a makefile, that also means that if any parts of the website
> get accidentally removed, it will automatically put them back the next
> time it is run, right?

Mostly of it, yes. There are some parts that are really "static" (i.e. are not
derived from other files and are not versioned by Subversion) and the
Makefile does not know how to recreate them if they are lost. An example is
the BLFS artwork. We need to find a way to keep them somewhere else outside
the website tree, so if they are accidentally removed, the makefile can
recover it

A possible solution on this case is to keep those files on the repository so
they are re-fetched (with "svn update") in case they are lost. This also has
the benefit of keeping track of any changes to those files.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org