Putting new update-website script online ASAP

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Sun Nov 14 08:38:57 PST 2004

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> I think that would be great. We need to get that in place. Can you
> give me a bit more of a detailed walkthrough of the script?  I'd like
> to fully understand what it's doing so I can help if you aren't around
> for some reason.  It looks like it will backup the entire current site
> to /var/tmp before it generates the new one, is that right?  Just a
> thought, but could we (for the sake of redundancy) also consider
> pushing that backup (perhaps just that tar file) to one dedicated
> mirror for that purpose?  That way we are protected twice, in case the
> script fails or something major happens.  We could have it tar up the
> file, then attempt to send that file to a remote server.  If that
> fails, because the remote is down, or some other network problem, we
> just time-out and continue.  But if we are successful most of the time
> in our remote sync of this file, then we would likely always have the
> website rendered and stored somewhere that is at most a couple of days
> old.  Thoughts?

> Jeremy Huntwork

I think this would be an excellent idea.  If the website team would
like, I can set up a key-based authentication on my web server for
belgarath, and when the update script runs, the first thing that could
be done is to tar the entire /home/httpd/www.linuxfromscratch.org
directory into one big tarball, and scp that onto my server.  That way,
should something go massively wrong, we have at least one backup off the
belgarath server.

-J-