Inconsistent mirrors

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 26 06:51:35 PST 2004

mail123 at koevis.demon.nl said the following on 03/26/04 15:23:
> well , okay , I know , but the website is a bit oversized too. Like , Wiki ,
> to be honest , it isnt that good. This mailing list is good , and maybe a

You've been following the discussion about the Wiki so you know my plans
with it. It's use has increased since then and it will *not* go away as
long as I'm around.

Also, what do you mean with oversized? The total contents of all files
under www.lfs.org is 51MB. This is including the online versions of all
stable, test & CVS versions of the various books. Cutting those is *not*
an option. We seperated the book's tarballs and offer them via file
mirrors & P2P: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/packages.html

> PHPBB could be handy. Also there should be an easy thingy to see what the

Why? I've seen no arguments what the benefits of PHPBB would be as
opposed to the wiki solution I've proposed. I've chosen a certain path
with the website and I plan to stick to it. I've heard no convincing
arguments *against* using a Wiki for the website and for supporting book
development & discussion (only feature requests) and I've seen no
convincing arguments on why I should choose PHPBB.

> LATEST  cvs release/patch is.The LFS book should be zipped (or rarred) , and

There is:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/cvs.html
After reading the necessary text, you'll see a link to
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/cvs/
which you can bookmark to *always* read the latest CVS.

Also, all book formats are tarred & bzipped, so that *anyone* with a
linux box can access the files. What benefits do zip or rar give us?

The main mirror is www.linuxfromscratch.org.

> to date? I can host the documents , but no PHP.

All mirrors are welcome. That said, I think you should inform yourself
more about the functioning of the website & the work that has been gone
into it. Start reading the archives. Read through *all the pages* of the
website. Learn what needs it solves. After you've done that, I'll gladly
listen to your comments on what we can do to improve it. Thanks,

FAQ and Website Maintainer