Inconsistent mirrors

Stuart Harris stuart at althalus.me.uk
Fri Mar 26 06:30:37 PST 2004

At 15:23 26/03/2004 +0100, you wrote:
> > Because the bandwidth requirements would mean about 20 out of those 20
> > servers would be totally incapable of hosting the mirror, not to
> > mention
> > the cost for them...
> >
> > 1/4 of the mirrors are on dedicated servers rented with a 'little
> > free space' 1/4 of the mirrors are on DSL/cable connections
> > 1/4 of the mirrors are on web hosting accounts
> > 1/4 of the mirrors (maybe) are on corporate networks (like mine)
> >
> > Only the latter would be responsive to doing what you suggest, and I
> > doubt even I would be willing to host the web site with no mirrors
> >
>well , okay , I know , but the website is a bit oversized too. Like , Wiki ,
>to be honest , it isnt that good. This mailing list is good , and maybe a
>PHPBB could be handy. Also there should be an easy thingy to see what the
>LATEST  cvs release/patch is.The LFS book should be zipped (or rarred) , and
>not in 9 different formats. What is the main mirror? one that is allways up
>to date? I can host the documents , but no PHP.

Err there is no guarantee the mirrors have/support php -this is why the
site does not use it, it's a bit retarded I know but hey ;)

The book is in multiple formats for ease of use.. some people prefer html
over pdf (I do) yet some would prefer plain text over html..

The main mirror is www.linuxfromscratch.org and it definately cannot handle
the whole download thing without mirrors off it, gerard would cry if he
suddenly lost his mirrors :)

Basically there are a few 'high capacity' mirrors, i.e. servers on large
bandwidth connections, but even out of those I think mine might be one of
only two? which is actually owned by a company - not co-located, so we (my
company) dont have such a problem with using up bandwidth.. some people
with quotad bandwidth would/do though.