Inconsistent mirrors

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 25 18:24:01 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 19:05, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> Rather than employing the server-pull scenario, how about a client-push
> scenario? Each client would have their own private key and whenever the
> download the new data, the server would update the time the client
> updated. In the round-robin, only include mirrors that have updated in
> the last X hours.

I considered that, it would make things easier too. But I don't want to
make that a mirror requirement. Ideally all a mirror should have to do
is run the rsync script twice an hour. The less mirror maintenance, the
better IMO. We'll keep and get more mirrors that way.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you meant to suggest. Do you envision
mirrors scp'ing a file or something to the server signaling they are
up-to-date?

Either way, even if a timestamp file is present, doesn't mean the entire
mirror is there. Maybe the sync wasn't completed. Ideally the mirrors
would compute some md5sum of the tree which we can download too, to make
sure all files are present and accounted for? Every mirror box will have
the md5sum program that can be run to run against every file and make
the file available. It should take minimal processing power to generate
the file on the mirror, and minimal CPU power to process this on our
server.

--
Gerard Beekmans