Inconsistent mirrors

Roel Neefs geryon at gaosu.rave.org
Thu Mar 25 16:03:57 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 00:57, Stuart Harris wrote:
> I'll partly take the 'shame and blame' on this, I was meant to be
> doing work on mirroring and i'm sure Gerard has given up on me as a
> lost hope.. but it's like everything else, LFS is a hobby for me,
> work is something that lets me do my pass time/hobbies .. this isn't
> really an excuse though
>
> Mirrors SHOULD update twice daily... so here is what I suggest...

twice an hour even (if needed).

> As we do not currently *COUGH* have guarantees that all mirrors
> support php, and it'd be stupid to do this on every server...
>
> who thinks it'd be a good idea for us to start time stamping actual
> mirrors, and having a single stable mirror (i'll even code/host) to
> run the 'mirr or list' page.. as to be honest, it's going to be low
> bandwidth :P

the mirrors already use timestamps, and Gerard was gonna use a system
together with the round robin dns to exclude mirrors when they are
outdated, but he's been busy lately :)

> it's simple enough to code and i'll put a code preview up in about
> 1/2 hour ... to see what people think - this would obviously only
> relate to LFS www mirrors.. and I do promise that i'll give some
> priority to FTP mirrors soon (if Gerard hasn't found someone else)

If some more help is needed with the ftp setup, I would be happy to help
out, I already have an extended ftp mirror for lfs on gaosu and I
currently have enough time. :)

> At 23:15 25/03/2004 +0100, you wrote:
> >The LFS mirroring system sucks. Someone please make sure they are
> > really MIRRORS. I once encountered a mirror that was way behind on
> > the CVS  book (don't remember which one that was) and today I got a
> > 403 trying to access
> >
> >http://www.de.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_contro
> >l_and_pkg_man.txt
> >
> >I'm sorry but I won't use mirrors anymore if I can't be sure that I
> > get reliable information. And I visit the LFS websites extremely
> > infrequently. The chanes of me hitting a problem should be very
> > low. Either I'm just an unlucky person or there are a lot of those
> > problems.
> >
> >MSB
> >
> >p.s.: I'm not subscribed to website, but please don't CC me if you
> > discuss this. I just wanted to vent my frustration. I'll remove the
> > "de." from my bookmarks and forget about it.
> >
> >--
> >Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!
> >
> >--

Roel Neefs
http://lfs.rave.org/lfs/news.html and ftp://gaosu.rave.org/pub/linux/lfs