What about extending the wiki...?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at jeroencoumans.nl
Sun Mar 14 05:07:04 PST 2004

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational said the following on 03/14/04 13:59:
> But I can tell you that there *will* be some resistance, based on past
> expressed attitudes.

Of course, all progress goes with resistance ;-)

> My gut feeling for now is that we may not find a "blend" of wiki with
> lists. I think it most likely something else will be done. I don't know
> what. My guess is that a certain core of "time challenged" folks will
> argue vociferously that all discussion and decisions must reside in the
> lists _as_it_happens_ and they want continued automatic mailing without
> ever having to go to the website to find out what is going on on that
> thread. And they will object to receiving duplicates and/or diffs.

Like I outlined in a previous message, I believe that the Wiki is the
next step in communication channels. On other lists I'm subscribed to,
which are supervised rigorously (ie. subscription-only, no attachments,
no html-mail, snipping, no OT-messages, etc.), the Wiki is used as an
extension of the lists, as summary for threads or important issues, thus
cataloging important technical issues for non-subscribers. Each
wiki-page is scrutinized and carefully groomed for technical excellence.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans