What about extending the wiki...?

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Sun Mar 14 04:59:39 PST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational said the following on 03/13/04 20:18:
> > Exactly my concern. The diff between current CVS activity levels and the
> > *potential* activity is purely related to a dozen or so people updating
> > CVS vs. 10k+ *possibly* updating wiki-site. If only 1% a day change
> > only 1 thing, that's still 100/day. If we still have other list traffic
>
> I guess that is another requirement for our target Wiki: to have
> different levels of e-mail notification, from full (list a full diff of
> changed pages) to minimal (which pages have been changed today?). It
> would be even better if this level is user-configurable instead of
> site-wide configurable.

Yes, but there *may* be a better solution. That may come out during the
investigation. This will be, I think, the thorniest issue.

Diffs alone (or in combo with a "base" page") don't carry content and
meaning in a way that a full post (with human snipping) does. That tends
to indicate that a full version of the changed page, possibly with
diffs, was needed. That has drawbacks in terms of bandwidth for both the
host and the user and has issues regarding repetition when the user
reads it.

OTOH, a context diff only (say 5 or 6 lines before and after) that lets
*most* updates to be comprehended *if* the recipient is already familiar
with the base page may be sufficient for the recipient to understand the
new meaning. Those not that familiar could then visit the page to
comprehend.

But I can tell you that there *will* be some resistance, based on past
expressed attitudes.

My gut feeling for now is that we may not find a "blend" of wiki with
lists. I think it most likely something else will be done. I don't know
what. My guess is that a certain core of "time challenged" folks will
argue vociferously that all discussion and decisions must reside in the
lists _as_it_happens_ and they want continued automatic mailing without
ever having to go to the website to find out what is going on on that
thread. And they will object to receiving duplicates and/or diffs.

It may work out that the wiki-based stuff suits another large part of
users just fine.

End result may be that no "blend" is attempted and the minority has to
decide to compromise a bit if they want to stay fully involved (the
least desirable solution, of course, because everybody deserves to get
everything just the way, when and how they want it in today's world).
:-(

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational