What about extending the wiki...?

Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational bill at nospam.dot
Sat Mar 13 11:18:00 PST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Anderson Lizardo wrote:

> On Sáb, 13 Mar 2004 12:16:21 -0500, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> >
> > ><snip good arguments>

> > Sounds good, but may have some drawbacks if you consider a much more
> > active page. Due to volume, would it be better to notify only once a
> > day? That way hourly updates would not hammer the notification
> > recipient. But then the recipient may be late joining the fray.
>
> Remember that the wiki will not be for development of something, but for
> maintenance of something that's already done. I don't think there will
> be so intensive/massive changes to the website if we enable wiki

I hope you are right, but with 10K+ registered users, we might get a
surprise.

> but, even if this happens, the recipient can disable e-mail notification or,
> if the wiki software permits, reduce the verbosity of the notifications.
>
> Finally, I don't see how different the e-mail notification can be from
> our current CVS notification, apart from being able to be notified only
> if specific pages are modified. Of course, due to more people being able
> to edit the website intensive changes may occur, but we can't predict
> they _will_ occur.

Exactly my concern. The diff between current CVS activity levels and the
*potential* activity is purely related to a dozen or so people updating
CVS vs. 10k+ *possibly* updating wiki-site. If only 1% a day change
only 1 thing, that's still 100/day. If we still have other list traffic
at even 50% of current levels (who knows?), we'd *never* get Gerard to
read any of it! So this is the sort of thing that we try to anticipate
and say "what if". The thinking of it is *relatively* cheap and if a
couple good proposals are waiting in the wings, we are ahead of the game
(and potential resistance).

--
Bill Maltby,
LFS Organizational