What about extending the wiki...?

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 13 10:50:50 PST 2004

On Sáb, 13 Mar 2004 12:16:21 -0500, Bill Maltby, LFS Organizational wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Anderson Lizardo wrote:
>
> > Regarding the monitoring of changes made to a Wiki site: Is it possible
> > to mail the changes to this mailing list like CVS currently does? If
> > possible, it will be a convenient way to keep track of changes, without
> > needing to visit the website periodically.
>
> As mentioned in one of my replies, this is a desirable thing because it
> eliminates one of the frequently heard objections. But there are
> *significant* technical and design issues. Just as a short starter list,
> how is a post to a list slotted into the wiki? Where? What is it related
> to? And going the other way, mail diffs only, how much, the whole
> article again. How does a list-only user integrate the received mail in
> his folder's threads. Maybe we just send notification that an update
> occurred? Does that satisfy the list-only user?

Well, I see this feature exactly like our current CVS notification
(diffs from the previous version). The people subscribed to this list or
*-book lists are aware of CVS commit messages, so they choose to setup
the list behaviour according to their desire (subscribe digest only,
block messages with a "cvs commit: " subject).

> > Additionally, it would be great if exists a "subscribe to this page"
> > feature, enabling individuals to keep track of specific sections by
> > e-mail. This way, e.g. the maintainer of the IRC nicks list (James
> > Robertson, AFAIK), can monitor changes made specifically to that page.
>
> Sounds good, but may have some drawbacks if you consider a much more
> active page. Due to volume, would it be better to notify only once a
> day? That way hourly updates would not hammer the notification
> recipient. But then the recipient may be late joining the fray.

Remember that the wiki will not be for development of something, but for
maintenance of something that's already done. I don't think there will
be so intensive/massive changes to the website if we enable wiki but,
even if this happens, the recipient can disable e-mail notification or,
if the wiki software permits, reduce the verbosity of the notifications.

Finally, I don't see how different the e-mail notification can be from
our current CVS notification, apart from being able to be notified only
if specific pages are modified. Of course, due to more people being able
to edit the website intensive changes may occur, but we can't predict
they _will_ occur.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org