What about extending the wiki...?

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 13 09:18:33 PST 2004

On Sáb, 13 Mar 2004 12:26:53 +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Anderson Lizardo said the following on 03/12/04 19:59:
> >On Sex, 12 Mar 2004 18:29:39 +0100, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> >
> >>I think the best course of action, should we proceed, would be to
> >>install the new version on the testsite so the regular wiki isn't
> >>interrupted. Installation is relatively simple, just needs a database.
> >

> >If this database can be MySQL, we already have one specially for tests.
>
> Yep. Can we backup the Drupal site in case the Wiki fails? I haven't

Yes. I just need to make a backup of the mysql database (which I already
make every time I update Drupal's PHP files) and a tarball of the
current PHP files. To restore, just run a command to restore the
database and unpack Drupal.

> heard from Nicholas (the other Wiki maintainer) but he's MIA for a
> while. Shall we proceed with a test installation of PHPWiki-1.3.7?

I think we should proceed to see how it will behave on real world for
us. We are on a test ground, so there is no problem to change often.

BTW, the LUG I mentioned (a local Debian group) uses MoinMoin for Wiki,
which has Access Control Lists (see
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnAccessControlLists). According to
the doc, it enables us to control who can do what, if it becomes
necessary. It also has e-mail notification of changes.

The only "problem" is that it is on Python (why am I often attracted to
Python projects?). But as you mentioned, we will be mirroring by making
a static version of the entire site (possibly using wget), which will
remove this "barrier" for mirrors.

> The idea is indeed to put the burden of adding and maintaining good
> content on the community, as it should be. What if both myself and you
> disappear from the community? Currently I'm not sure who's able to fill
> the gap. I'm looking for a permanent solution which is community-based
> so it needs the least possible administration. A wiki is the natural choice.

Agreed. But I'd suggest we have "lockdown" features available to prevent
possible abuses. As you mentioned, PHPWiki still does not have advanced
athentication features, which makes me strongly suggest give MoinMoin a
try.

lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org